Friday, January 6, 2012

One Armed Scissor.

'Lo everyone.

Alright, first post for the year. Apologies for it not being as exciting as last years, what with the whole Falls wrap up, but I have had a lot of adventures, in my defence.

So, new years eve this year was a very, very quiet affair compared to last year. Lot of sitting around drinking very heavily (so heavily that about half the people puked, and one poor bastard has to sit out til the countdown). We did take Isaac's little blowup raft out for a spin ("by the end of it they'll have five people on it" we managed to get to four), and shaved almost every sparkler in Sale to make a very bright sparkler bomb out of a Pringles can.

Still, no one drowned, we caught the countdown on triple j, and in the morning despite some heavy hangovers and more puking we all made it home alright.

Spent the rest of the afternoon recovering, much to Fraser's disgust, as he needed a taxi. On my last night, we headed to Sam's for beer pong and pizza.

First movie for the year!

Predators - ***
Yeah, pretty Rodriguez-y, lots of blood, twists, Danny Trejo, etc etc. Lots of homages to the original as well, which was nice. Didn't like the needless romantic bits, this is an action film, dammit. Oh well. Anyway, a good drunken popcorn action film, worth seeing if you liked the original.

Next morning, again, bit of a hangover since it was like a billion degrees overnight, then home and onto the afternoon train, conveniently missing all the siblings.

Unfortunately, the train was packed, and the air conditioning was out. All the people from Bairnsdale were either shirtless or dying. This lasted until Traralgon, which felt like an hour's trip, and then they made everyone get off and take the bus because it was "not safe". To be fair, there was sweat beading on my arms after about ten minutes, which was not particularly pleasant. Well done Vline, making us rural Victorians proud (and giving us a sauna).

So, home again, met up with Aiden and Emily in St Kilda for a few drinks at the Espy and watched the sunset (Lion King style, not even kidding), then Aiden and I headed to a new pub, the Roxanne Parlour. Nice place, could be a regular bar with a stage if they had more tables, a little tricky to get to though.

So, we waited around a bit, surveying the crowd of hipsters. And there were a lot of hipsters, including king hipster with his waist length hair, champion's moustache, and leopard print jacket. Relatively cheap beer, too.

Missed the first band, then there was The Death Set, who did Sleigh Bells style punk riffs to a backing track. And they were awesome, that sort of slacker-punk that hipsters do these days. Not angry, just sleazy. The crowd got into it, and I may have jumped into the pit. Singer got crowdsurfed (an achievement for such a tiny venue), and at one stage they convinced the entire crowd to crouch on the ground, then spring back up. Good stuff, worth seeing.

After that, more drinking, then French Horn Rebellion. This is the band that sold Aiden, I think. They did the whole 80s-synths Cut/Copy/Miami Horror/Bag Raiders thing, but on occasion the lead singer pulled a french horn out of nowhere and played a solo, including one from in the crowd. How cool. Aiden went nuts, of course. He later bought their shirt of the lead singer, got it signed by him as well. Brilliant.

Found myself at the front for Unknown Mortal Orchestra once again, this time next to a rabid fan trying to encourage her reluctant boyfriend to come closer, and some very drunk girls who seemed to have no idea where they were. They put on a good set, this time with a drummer who didn't look like a lost twelve year old and could play a surprisingly good solo. The sound wasn't amazing though, even up the front, which Ruban, he of the throat tattoo, was continually apologising for. Having listened to their album a few times now, I still reckon they sound better live; they lose that weird not-sixties sheen, and the crazy layers, but they turn into a Tame Impala-y rock band instead, which to be honest I prefer.

Stumbled home after this, Aiden crashed in Woosh's room after we hung out with a drunk and pukey Angus and his mates for a bit. This did not end well for my bathroom.

Headed back into the city and caught most of the Vasco Era's free set at the Worker's after sleeping in almost too late, then Aiden and I grabbed a cheeky afternoon beer and I somehow found myself in a JB Hifi. Terrible.

Didn't get up to much yesterday apart from making Angus clean my bathroom. Yeah. Also had a go at cooking kofta balls. Not a bad experiment, really, next time they'll be fried for less time and will have a lot more spiciness though. Bring it, you krishna swine.

Today, helped Angus move all of his crap out of 102, up to a very swish third floor two bedroom apartment. He has an awful lot of stuff though, and we're still not done. He's still got a fridge, two bikes, and a tyre lying around here. It's a nice place though, he and Baz have done well for themselves, and I look forward to beers and chills up there this year.

Suddenly, tonight I got a frantic call from Bec. "OMG FLYING LOTUS IS PLAYING TOMORROW!!!!!!" Got tickets without a second thought, and gloated to the necessary parties. Very lucky, this is what I get for not reading the street press for a week or two, I miss out on things. Oh well. I'm sort of glad I got tickets for this instead of Justice, though I did get a distortiony phone call from Isaac (cheers man).

So, tomorrow, FlyLo at 2am, I believe I'll be hammered as hell, and it will be glorious. Then I dunno what happens for the rest of the week. Meh. See how we go.



No comments: