Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Frontier Psychiatrist.

'Lo all.

I figured I'd better get a post in before my Easter adventures. I've been slack, as usual.

Haven't really been up to a lot, to be honest.

On Wednesday, went out for dinner with Jess and the horde for her birthday, caught up with British and tried to escape getting photographed. Our terrible luck with nightclubs continued, as Eurotrash said they were too full for us. On a Wednesday night. Go figure. Bastards. Ended up in Crown once again, British kept an eye on the cheap blackjack table, but there were too many people there. Ah well.

I tried to spend as much of the weekend as possible writing my sociology essay, since my politics one got moved back a bit. Finished it Sunday, just before Ryan arrived. We caught Gabriel Inglesias, who was hilarious, even if his warm up guys weren't. I recommend checking him out on youtube. The jager story was awesome. Headed to Aiden's for a beer or two after this, then get back to Alfred st to find a wild poker game going off.

I hear in the morning, after Ryan left, that Angus, Barry and co ended up at Crown, then walked home. Crazy stuff there.

Monday I cleaned up the essay and watched some of the Coachella stream. Now this is a fantastic idea (even if it did chew up all of my internet). Caught the end of the Black Keys' set on Saturday, then woke up extra early to see Death From Above 1979's "reformation" show (AAAARGH WOULD HAVE KILLED TO BE IN THAT MOSH), The National's raucously moody set, and The Strokes (... pretty much the same as what we caught last year, except with some extra new stuff). When I got back from class, Barry had hooked up his laptop to the projector, so we all watched Kanye West's set in the living room. He can put on an excellent big self indulgent show, I'll give him that. Did not convince me to go to Splendour.

Speaking of which, I am mighty disappointed by Splendour. I can't stand Coldplay, I'm not a Kanye fan, and I haven't heard enough of either Jane's Addiction or Pulp to judge them properly. The only band on the lineup that I haven't seen before that I would pay to see is Modest Mouse. Maybe DJ Shadow. The rest of the bands are either a) stuff I've seen before at BDO/Falls/their own shows/even One Night Stand; b) stuff I'm not interested in enough to make an effort to see, or c) generic triple j/hipster crap. Plus it's like $500 for a ticket. Add to that getting to Queensland, plus food, beer, etc. Nope. Second lineup might be good, but I doubt it.

/rant.

Anyway, Monday night, headed to the Astor with Bec, good to catch up.

Eraserhead - ****
Slow as hell, noisy as hell, but who cares, it'll freak you the hell out. Kinda not as much creepy as I was hoping, but what we got was still very WTF. And gorey too, which was cool. As Oscar said coming out of the cinema though, it's more of an experience, and yeah, I dunno if I'd see it again. Still very cool though.

Yesterday, argued about Jersey Shore and the Hills in contexts (there are people who think it is real. I'm putting them on the same tier of idiots who think wrestling is real). Such fun. Fell asleep in politics almost, not good. Went to Simon's for dinner, again, good to catch up with him and Kirst, and have a non-microwaved or fast food meal. Watched a movie in Simon's mancave, got a lift home. I must head back there soon.

Public Enemies - ***
Good to finally watch this whole thing. It's good, but it does get repetitive and seems to go for longer than it should. Some of the dialogue is jarringly cheesy too. Redeemed by it's action sequences. I'm a sucker for Tommy guns, I think.

Today was pretty quiet, got up late, relatively enjoyable philosophy class (must be because I'm sleeping more?), and now I'm on "holidays" til next Thursday. Woot.

Lots of trekking around this week, tomorrow night's Angus's 20th, then Children Collide, then Moranghurk, then Festivus, then probably back to Sale for a night. Will post a wrapup afterwards.

Crossposted.

Catchyas.

No comments: