Monday, April 11, 2011

Do The Astral Plane.

'Lo everyone.

It's worth noting that I began that last post with "I've been very lazy". Um. Yeah. No kidding. Pretty good effort, only getting 6 posts last month. I could say I'd try harder but then I'd probably get hit by a truck or something.

So. I'll just stick to what I can remember, it's been a while.

Rango - ****1/2
Yes. Loved the Dr Gonzo and Raoul Duke cameos. The dogfight with the bats (...in bat country) was the best I've seen in years. The way they just included bits of all these other films says a lot about what people look for in a film these days (that's the media student in me fighting to get out), but it was enjoyable. Character design was awesomely messed up, though I'm not sure why girl-lizard had hair... Good film.

Jackass 3D - *****
I'm a sucker for this sort of crap, as you know. I can't imagine what actually seeing this in 3D would be like. Highlights included the midget fight, the volcano, and the swimming pool trebuchet (with extra wheelbarrow).

What else have I been up to...

Headed to Smith St to see Annie's sister Yelka play some music, she was pretty good, covered the Beatles, definitely worth seeing if you can catch her. There were two other dudes with guitars playing as well, the more rocknroll one was awesome until he broke a string and had to commandeer another one.

Got taken shopping on Saturday, DFO is not a nice place. One shop was playing Portishead, which would have been awesome if they did not want me to exchange two limbs and a firstborn for a pair of jeans.

And then there was the "pub crawl" on Saturday night. Typically, after suiting up (Brad's suit was awesome, just putting it out there), we decided to go out on the one night that was "no suit Saturday". Then, at the next place, some of us were not wearing leather shoes. Rubbish. I miss getting drunk in Sale. As everything started tearing itself apart around me (I'D ONLY HAD ONE BEER THIS IS NOT GOOD), pushed the horde onto Aiden's rooftop and went chasing drunks around the city trying not to get them arrested. It's a lot trickier than it sounds. I'm sorry if that pissed anyone off, especially that family in the restaurant. Anyway, once everyone was taken care of, and I'd finally had a beer (or five), we limped to Crown and got relatively wasted. Crawled over the road to Emily's, woke up still spinning slightly.

Uni's been hell, I finished my first essay yesterday after two days of straight work and a lot of procrastination. It's pretty terrible, I can tell, but it's my first one. I assume I'll get better. The next two which need to be done are a little easier, but the first problem I've encountered is that the library only has like two copies of the book that I'm sure every person in the subject is wanting to use. This is going to be fun trying to pick it up, might have to do some furious googling to get some resources that aren't from the seventies or something. Oh yeah, and last week in the contexts lecture we got to watch Jon Stewart on Crossfire. Awesome.

Went to the footy on Friday night with Emma and Bernice (I needed a night off) to see Carlton try not to lose to badly to Collingwood. We were told there'd be a band playing at the start, instead we were treated to twenty minutes of Collingwood wanking around, with an Eddie McGuire speech, huge arse flag getting pulled up above the big screen, and confetti getting shot at the toothless cheer squad. We did alright but some of the tactics in the first half were infuriating. "They're winning! Quick, kick the ball backwards, then we'll go back and forth a bit in their goal square! We'll lose our momentum but at least the Pies won't have the ba- oh damn, they tackled me..." Rubbish!

Commiserated in Prudence, where they played The Mercy Seat and Angel among others, and we got tipsy pretty quickly (if MCG food wasn't so damn expensive we would not have been in this situation, I'm sure). Emma and Bernice were very impressed with the place, and I was glad to have the opportunity to get smashed that night.

Anyway, so here I am on a Monday night, saw Tess on her way to Joe's, tempted to go see what they're doing since I finished my homework, but have not started these essays, so I dunno. We'll see. Wednesday's Jess's dinner, so it'll be good to see the horde. Not sure if I can make it back to Sale this weekend, but my adventures over easter may mean I'll find myself over there.

I'll try and post more frequently, eleven days into April and not even a single post, pathetic. Still, no promises, no doubt a piano will land on me or something. 2500 word essays aren't far away.

Hey, I made it through half a semester of uni without dying. Sick.

Crossposted.

peace

No comments: