Monday, April 25, 2011

Children Collide and other Easter Adventures.

'Lo all.

No point trying to catch up with this April posting thing, I'll try harder next month.

So, last Thursday was Angus's 20th, much drinking and partying occurred. Met a few of his mates, one guy had seen Coffee and Cigarettes, so props to him. There was a bike helmet with a camera attached to it floating around as well. At one stage Barry walked in with a No Standing sign. Crazy night.

Then Friday, slept in late, helped clean stuff off the walls, then shipped out to St Kilda. Had a couple of beers in the Prince, blew some money on the jukebox, and got a free beer out of it. Then met Aiden and Pat, who lost a game of pool, and headed upstairs to the bandroom.

Young Revelry put on a very, very distortion laced set, so we decided to head to the beer garden to make sure we didn't blow our hearing before the main act. Missed half of Red Riders' set, I could have been more impressed. We met a girl in the pit who knew Isaac, and knew Aiden and Pat from his facebook. Very bizarre.

Children Collide themselves were insane, we were a row back from the barrier and went nuts. Lot of big singalongs, and they tried out some new material which sounded alright. Didn't open with Across the Earth, but oh well, they still included it. No encore either. Emerged covered in sweat, headed downstairs for 7/11 water. There was a knot of dudes all trying to hold a guy back, and another one facing them yelling. We turned around, and he pulled out a meat cleaver. Only in St Kilda?

While debating the merits of wielding a meat cleaver (not only is it heavy, it's also trickier to hide), three police tactical response units screamed up, and we chilled out in the carpark with Pat's new car. Aiden caught a taxi when the heat died down a bit, and Pat offered me a lift.

This was our next adventure. We decided to follow the tram tracks to Glenferrie rd. Naturally, as soon as they split up, we took the wrong way, then in trying to fix this, we headed around in circles. Somehow, we found a train station, but it was on the Frankston line. Go figure. Eventually, we got to Caulfield, found Glenferrie rd. The absolute highlight was "My mum told me not to go driving at night - oh, my lights aren't on!".

Crashed pretty hard, slept in too late, trains were running late because of holiday track works, so I had to wait an hour and a half for a Geelong train. Pretty quiet trip, Beardman picked me up, headed to the Ghurk. It was good to catch up with everyone. The kids are all growing up, it's insane. There were a couple of heated rounds of spoons, then the adults (now very intoxicated) had a "discussion" with Bonnie's friend, and tried to do mad trickz on Fraser's bike. Very, very amusing.

Next morning, got woken up early, Bonnie and Riley dropped me off at the station, met up with Emma and Jess, got some food, then grabbed Aiden and headed to the Carlton. Not a bad set up, stage in the carpark and bar around the corner. The bar tokens were poker chips, which was pretty cool. Since we were waiting five hours to see the Vasco Era, we began drinking heavily, and built ourselves a beersnake. Aiden contributed by grabbing all the cups he could find. Eventually it was taller than me, which was cool.

Headed into the crowd for the Vasco Era, managed to get right to the crappy barrier. Pretty good set, got a lot of covers as well. Lot of fun singing along to Happiness is a Warm Gun, was not expecting it at all. Decided to head out for more beer during Muscles (who sounded pretty bad), then dived back in for Bag Raiders. Entertaining set, but really it was just two dudes flipping samples, nothing too special. Jess made a couple of friends in the crowd who sprayed her with perfume.

Once again, we were a row from the front for Children Collide, though this wasn't good as the barrier broke during their third song. Even more intense mosh, two massive security guards waded in during Farewell Rocketship to drag people out. Like Aiden, for some reason. Shorter set than what we got on Friday, but still pretty good. Didn't die, made it out and got heaps of water, then watched half of Little Red's set from outside.

We went hunting for a maccas after this, ate far too much, then waited for what seemed like ages for a maxi-taxi. The taxi driver was hilarious, Aiden started telling a story, but the music got accidentally turned way up. Riley joked that all we needed was a strobe light. Taxi driver thought this was hilarious, so he pumped up the music and started flicking the lights on and off. Hopefully we terrified some cars that went past.

Crashed at Katie's after quickly checking train times (... and facebook), then up far too early. Half the roads in Geelong were blocked because of Anzac Day parades, but we made it to the station alright. More track works were going on in the city, this time at Southern Cross itself. Plus there were footy fans everywhere.

Anyway, here I am, back in Hawthorn, caught the last quarter of the footy with Barry (disappointing, Essendon), and yelling at my crappy internet for dropping in and out so much.

This week, politics essay, then home to Sale on Friday afternoon. Woo.



No comments: